I wonder what’s going on lately. Some bot-net is trying to brute force its way into my blog since a couple of days. Usually I couldn’t care less – I’m using a secure password and the default user is disabled. But it makes my security plugin flooding my inbox and I’m starting to get really annoyed by that.

Here is what I did to put an end to that. I added a few lines to the .htaccess to put an HTTP auth in front of the login and some more lines to deny access to the password file which lives in the document root so it is automatically included in the nightly backups:

The attacker has quite a bit of resources at hand. So far I didn’t see any multiple occurrences of IP addresses in the logs.